Rapid industrialization has lead to an increased demand for natural resources. The natural resources as Iron Ore forms the bedrock of industrialization. Natural Resources as Coal are widely used for Power Generation. To meet the rising demand for metals (both Ferrous and Non-Ferrous) and Energy, Mining industry undertakes development of large scale projects.
Depending upon the scale of the project, the mining projects may entail creation of massive industrial infrastructure as Roads, Railways, Ports, Dams, Captive Thermal Power Plants etc to support the core mining Asset.
The Mining Assets – particularly Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Process Plants – are themselves huge industrial complexes – which are primarily erected on EPC Basis. For Example – A steel plant may include structures as Blast Furnaces, Bulk Material Handling Equipment for handling iron ores, Coal, Coke & slag, steel Melting shops for producing steel, Coke Batteries, Captive thermal Power Plants, Water Systems including DM Water, Effluent Water, Plant Water system, Worker colonies, etc
The infrastructure development in mining sector today is primarily on Engineering Procurement & Construction (EPC).
EPC Philosophy entails that the complete project is broken down into major components and equipments – which is tendered out to the successful bidder – who is responsible for doing the detailed engineering, in compliance with basic engineering design as prepared by owner or owner’s consultant.
Once the project has been decided to be executed, the owner sets the objective of the project. Owner also hires specialized consultancy firms – Project Management Consultants(PMC) – who, in alignment with the objectives of the owner, perform the basic engineering of the asset including design, subcontracting, vendor management & project management activities. They may divide the overall project into packages, evaluates the bid received and recommends owner to award the package to the successful bidder, reviews the engineering documents created by the successful bidder and oversees the execution of the project till the asset handover and contract closure.
tBits CollabWrite – over the life cycle of the Engineering, Procurement & Construction projects in Industrial Infrastructure development – assists by performing the following functions:
tBits Modules used across the project phases
tBits usage in Engineering Phase:
- Document Control– Management of Basic Engineering documents
- Tender Documents - including Technical & Commercial Evaluation of Bids
- Detailed Engineering Documents – Till Good for Construction / Release for construction and till As-Built.
- Uncontrolled Documents – Site photographs, Monthly Reports, Adhoc documents etc
- Modules for documents for C&I.
tBits usage in Procurement Phase
- Quality Process Automation & collaboration between the Vendors, Third Party Inspection Agencies & Owners including:
- Inspection Calls Management between Vendor, Contractor, Third Party inspection Agencies and Owner till the release of Material Dispatch Clearance Certificates Generation.
- Logistics Management
- Site inspections
- Material Tracking until reconciliation of material to be handed over to Owner at the end of the project as per contract.
tBits usage in Construction Phase:
Collaboration between Site Office, Project Execution Office & Project Engineering Offices.
- Technical Queries
- Field Design Change Notes
- Tracking of Fortnightly Project Execution Activities
- Transfer Protocols - including the material consumption detailed for invoicing & Punch Lists.
- Health Safety & Environmental Management
- Automation of site workflows as Invoice Tracking, etc
- Engineering support management
- As-Built Document Management & Control